The 1930's; a period of growth

Photo:The John Lewis silk room in the 1930's

The John Lewis silk room in the 1930's

Photo:The exterior of John Lewis by 1939

The exterior of John Lewis by 1939

By Jonathan Blatchford

Innovate services became available

By the early 1930’s, both John Lewis and Peter Jones were run together, as a ‘co-operative society of producers’. This allowed for the setting up of a number of innovative services and departments, including both a formal medical service and a substantial legal department. Despite these additions, silks and dress fabrics were still the top sellers.

In 1935, Spedan Lewis bought further property on Oxford Street in order to expand further, as a building formally belonging to DH Evans was assimilated by the Partnership

Expanding outside of London

The 1930’s saw the Partnership expand outside of London for the first time. 1933 saw the acquisition of Jessops and Lance and Lance in Nottingham and Western Super-Mare respectively. And in 1934, Knight and Lee of Portsmouth and Tyrrell and Green of Southampton become the fifth and sixth branches of the Partnership.

These branches would by the end of the decade, be absolutely vital to the Partnership's very existence, particularly after the bombing of Oxford Street in 1940.

This page was added by Jonathan Blatchford on 02/09/2014.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.